Saturday, November 8, 2008

Week 9 Is Finally Here!

Whew! I kinda thought week 8 might be an easy deal but, of course, it was as full of intensity as the rest of them. First news is that Sheila is back! Believe it or not! She said she got back to Canada and felt fine. I guess anxiety played a large part in her illness. She seemed to think that the two classes a day were hazardous to her health because of her pre-disposed stomach problems. Whatever the reason, she spoke with Bikram and he told her to "get her lazy ass back here and finish the training!" That's Bikram, not one to spare words. She got back at 11:00 PM on Thursday. I came in from lecture around midnight and she was all settled in. As much as I enjoyed the private room for a few days, it's good to have her back! The other news of the week, the bad news for me, was that I was robbed this morning at Starbucks. Clemma and I went to do our usual Saturday shopping thing and we went to Starbucks for an iced coffee drink beforehand. I didn't realize what happened to me until I saw it so clearly in retrospect. I had my purse on the chair next to me and it was unzipped. A man, who was dressed as a businessman, came over to us and was speaking rapidly in Spanish and pointing to his Blackberry. We were looking at it and trying to understand what he was saying. Shortly after, another man came up and started doing the same thing. Apparently, while we were distracted by the first guy, the other one was sticking his hand down my purse and lifting my wallet. It wasn't until we got up and started walking toward the grocery store that I realized my purse felt awfully light. A few moments of panic, and then the realization. I really felt violated. I've never been robbed before. I knew that I had to get back to the hotel to call John because he is the master of these situations. When we got back, I called him and he immediately contacted all my credit card people and had the cards closed. It was such a relief. Luckily, my driver's license expires on Friday anyway, so it doesn't matter. I hate going to the DMV, but I was going to have to go anyway. So, other than those two monumental events, here is how the week went:

Oh, and before I start, Susie, you are a lucky woman if you go to training in the spring. Bikram announced last night that Spring 09 training will be in Palm Desert at the Marriott resort. While, Acapulco is a very exotic location, the communication from the US will be so much easier for you guys. Just being able to use your cell phone will be a huge bonus.

Monday, Bikram was back so we had his class that night. He kicked our butts and I worked hard as hell. He did the same on Tuesday and by Wednesday I was starting to get sore. Three Bikram classes in three days can kill you. Let me tell you, he can really make you work like a dog. He screams and yells and dares people to leave the room.

He lectured every night this week and his release times varied from 12:30 AM to 2:30 AM. I believe he loves the sound of his own voice. He can be as entertaining as any comedian I've seen and he can also drive you nuts with his rambling tirades. I'll give him this though, on Tuesday night, he gave us the night off for the election. We can thank Kathryn for this. She had been working on the Obama campaign before she came to training, so Monday night, she stood up and asked him if we could have some time to watch the election results. He then went on a ranting, raving tirade of how stupid these "assholes" of the last 8 years have been, and how the country is in the toilet because of them, etc. on and on. Apparently, he is an Obama guy. At any rate, we got the night off and I watched the election up until I knew Obama was going to win and then fell asleep. Of course, I'm thrilled, relieved and delighted that he won. Finally, no more of this freakin' regime that has been in power for the past 8 long years. I believe he has a vision that is on a level beyond other politicians and that he will be able to lift us up from this black hole we are in. It will take years to undo the damage, but it will happen.

OK, no more politics cause that's a dangerous subject when you have friends and loved ones who read your blog and are not so liberal as I am!

So that was Tuesday. On Wednesday night Bikram kept us up until 1:00 AM. We did our usual morning class and then for the evening class, we had a teacher from Australia. We were all shocked and secretly happy that it wasn't Bikram who would have tried to kill us again! After that class was over and everyone was lying in Savasana (the resting pose), exhausted as usual after our second class of the day, Manali said she had a surprise for us and to stay in Savasana.

Well, we just laid there like a bunch of dead dogs and we heard, "check, check, 1, 2, 3, 4", Bikram's signature entrance when he comes in to teach. Yeah, you guessed it, it was our third class for the day! Surprise, surprise. You wouldn't believe the reactions from people. There was disbelief, anger, shock, tears, lots of human emotions. We stood up to do the initial breathing exercise where you have your hands interlocked underneath your chin and you raise your elbows as you inhale. I couldn't get my elbows to go up! I was so tired from the class I just finished. It wasn't just me because EVERYONE else in the room had the same problem. People were swaying back and forth. Bikram was laughing and saying we all looked like dead meat! To shorten this story, I started out very weak but I gained momentum as the class went on and I did almost all the postures and never had to leave the room. People were running out in a mass exodus to get more water, others were fainting, throwing up, having to be carried out.....it reminded me of the first week! Bikram said that this was a test of how you handle adverse conditions that are handed you in life. I was happy to know that my way was to resist in the beginning, but eventually, resign myself and just do the best I could. One guy who is a former Navy Seal was dry heaving in Balancing Stick. Now that's determination! Bikram wasn't through with us because later, at lecture, he kept us up until 2:30 in the morning. We were all so tired, it was unbelievable. Then, of course, we got 4 hours of sleep and it was morning and time for another class. And I thought the 8th week was going to be easy! The fun never stops here. I am sore in places I never thought existed. It's a good soreness, though. I know I have reached new depths in my body. My practice is stronger in some areas, but in other areas, I have had to step back a little and learn some techniques that I didn't know about before. I might not be able to kick as high in Standing Bow, but I am much stronger in it so I know that eventually, I'll be able to kick higher than before.

For daytime lectures, Bikram has been going through each of the postures and explaining them fully. He has people come up on the stage and he adjusts them in the proper alignment. This information is invaluable since he is the guy that designed this series of postures, and he knows more about the alignment than anyone I've ever seen. I can't tell you how much deeper my understanding of the postures has become after this training. After practicing regularly for 4 and 1/2 years, I thought I knew all about the alignment before I came here. Not. It's been quite an education.

We have also had quite a few teachers come up and tell their stories of their first class. Some are nightmares, and most are not pretty. I'm only expecting to live through it and to finish in as close to 90 minutes as I possibly can. To those of you who are going to be there, please don't expect much. That way, I won't feel pressured. If I can get you in and out of all the postures, it will be a success in my book! They say it takes around 6 months of teaching to start feeling comfortable with it and to be able to bring your personality into the whole thing. Michael said my first class is scheduled for 11:00 AM on Wednesday, November 19th. At first, he said 9:00 AM but he changed it.

Well, it's Sunday morning and I thought I'd get my blog published yesterday, but Sheila and I were sitting on the floor in the hallway (the only way you can get online) last evening, typing away on our blogs when Clemma walked over to us and asked us if we wanted to go out to dinner in Acapulco at a restaurant where you can watch the cliff divers.
She offered to front me the money for the evening since I am destitute at this point without my wallet. As tired as I was, it sounded like a great idea at the time. Sheila and I both wanted to go, so Clemma, Sheila, Dawn, Sandra and myself took a cab into town for a little evening adventure. The restaurant was beautifully situated on a cliff side and the view of the divers was perfect. It was all lit up and very dramatic. We watched a few divers and it's pretty amazing since they dive from 110 feet into 14' deep water. I loved watching them climb up the rock face to get to the platform. It was wet and slippery looking and it was probably a 5.7 or so (for those who understand climbing ratings), so it was almost as impressive as the diving! The food was mediocre but, as usual, we had a long, fascinating conversation. Dawn is a forensic psychologist from Portland and Sandra lives in Phoenix and hopes to open her own Bikram studio in 6 months. We had lots of fun gossiping about all the teachers and other trainees! We got back around 10:30 and hit the bed for our long, Saturday night slumber. Sheila and I both woke up around 9:00 AM feeling like new souls. I had weird dreams that consisted of me spouting strange versions of the dialogue.
So once again, it's Sunday and I have a whole day to do whatever I want. I'm looking forward to this last week because the teachers have been telling us that it will be filled with fun things. Oh, I truly hope they aren't setting us up! I don't completely trust them. It's my last Sunday in Acapulco however, so I am starting the countdown until I finally leave for the good ol' USA!!!
I will try to post an entry next Saturday. We aren't having a class (only 10 more classes to go!), so I might have some time. The graduation ceremony is Saturday evening. Can you believe it??!! I'll be a certified Bikram yoga teacher in less than a week!!! Without a doubt, the most difficult process I've ever been through in my life but I feel very strongly that it will pay off with huge rewards when I'm settled into a regular teaching schedule. I wasn't even sure when I started this process that I would really enjoy teaching this yoga, but I am convinced now that it will be the best decision I've made in a long time. Here is one of the reasons that I feel good about this. Gayle, who is a good friend from the Bend studio and my adopted sister (since people are always getting us confused with each other), sent me an email and PLEASE forgive me Gayle, but I wanted everyone to see what you said:
"Betty and I will be sure and mark our calendars for 11:00am on the 19th. Have no fear about teaching your first class. We are all so happy for you and find it amazing that you took time out of your life to become a Bikram Instructor. You could stand up on the podium and do nothing and your fans would still cheer you on. We are all your friends and want nothing but the best for you."
Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about! I love those guys at BYB!
Until graduation............

3 comments:

Kate said...

CAROL!!! YOU MADE IT TO WEEK 9!! Congratulations! Sending you love and light from Bend. Looking forward to being your cheerleader and support as others were for me. Can't wait to give you a BIG welcome back HUG! sorry 'bout the wallet = (

XO Kate

kirk said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHvC_gz4rIQ

Unknown said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR CAROL!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! Happy Birthday from your Birthday Sister! I hope your last day of training is great! I look forward to celebrating with you upon your return to Bend. Best wishes, Love, Christen