Sunday, November 2, 2008

Week 7 Is Gone

Week 7. Well, that's one I'll remember. Just when I think it can't get any wilder, crazier and off the map, it does.

Going back to Monday, if I can. All the days and weeks seem to meld into one long 50-50, equal and simultaneously arduous and ecstatic trip. Monday and Tuesday were hell because we had posture clinics both in the afternoons and evenings. Let me reiterate on the posture clinics. The afternoon one is 4 and a half hours long and the evening one is twos hours long (from 9 to 11 PM). The whole time is anxiety filled because we have to stand up and recite a posture in front of 30 or so people, plus the 3 or 4 proctors who are writing things down as you speak. They are judging your dialogue, posture, command, loudness, enunciation, clarity, levity, energy, etc., ad nauseum. It causes such pressure because you are trying your best and having to remember to incorporate everything into one 4 minute session is very stressful. I remember when I was learning to play tennis and I had to remember to keep my eye on the ball, bend from the knees not the waist, get my racket back, position myself on the court strategically, determine where I was going to hit the ball before I made the shot, etc. After a while, of course, it was all second nature, but in the beginning you had to consciously remember these things. The other issue is that the posture clinic instructors are all different. Some expect perfect dialogue, others are more interested in energy, others in whether you smile or not. It just makes it more difficult because you really don't know what they are going to be looking for, so you have to try for the whole package.

I'm trying to get across the fact that these dialogue clinics ARE VERY STRESS INDUCING!! So, having had two days full of them along with our two yoga practices a day, we were exhausted souls by Wednesday. To add to all this, Sheila's health had gone south to the point where she was vomiting all her food and water and had to go down for another IV. She ended up in a Mexican hospital where they put a tube down her esophagus and looked into her tummy. She has a hietal hernia, along with severe gastritis (pardon my medical spelling, because I have no idea). Long story short, I came back from class on Thursday morning and she was sitting in the floor, holding a barf bag, looking pitifully up at me and saying, "Carol, I don't think I can do this any more." I took her to the infirmary and the doc said he thought she should go back to Canada to get medical attention. After all, it's free for her in Canada and in Mexico she didn't know what it would cost. Also, the medical hospitals in Canada are superior.

She resigned herself, Rusto came over and we spent the last night in the room, me, Sheila and Rusto with Sheila hooked up to an IV so she'd have the strength to go home the next day. So she left. That's it. She's gone. It was astounding that she made it this long. Six and a half weeks. We are hoping that she'll be able to come back to spring training and just do the last month in order to graduate. Bikram has to make that decision though. He's coming back tonight.

OK, that being said, the stress of Sheila being sick on top of the two days of posture clinics were taking their toll. I can't explain how challenging it is to be going through this and having this downer of a roommate situation. My maternal instincts are strong and I was trying to take care of her and worrying about her while still trying to maintain my place in this really tough program.

Interestingly enough, my yoga classes last week (we've done 76 now!) were all really good. I felt strong and did all the postures with gusto. Maybe the yoga was my release. My posture clinic dialogue presentations were lackluster however. Ivan, who is from the Czech Republic and in my group, came over to me and said "You need a massage". He said he could see a black cloud around my neck and shoulders and I that I seem to be carrying incredible tension there. Later, someone else in my group said that he told another woman, who was having stomach pains, that she had some problem in her ovaries. When she checked it out, she found out that she had ovarian cysts. Hmmmmmm.....well, I've never been much of a believer in "woo woo" stuff, as John calls it, but I am now convinced that some people have a really well developed sixth sense. How the hell would he have seen that in me otherwise? I am going to get my massage this afternoon. I saw Ivan again on Saturday, after Sheila left, and he smiled and said, "What happened? Your cloud is gone."

Yes, my cloud was lifted and, of course, I miss Sheila a lot but I am a new person. My old energy is back and I am having fun again. I am also enjoying the private room after having a week of doctors, nurses and staff members parading in and out of it.

Going back to early in the week. After two days of high stress, we had the joy and privilege (it doesn't take much to elate us these days) of Jon Burras who is known as the "fascia guy". He gave a total of four lectures on the power of attraction and fascia.

He's a really interesting speaker. A yoga teacher (ironically, not Bikram) from southern California. One of his lectures was on the power of attraction. A theory that basically says you get what you focus on or what you truly believe is reality. I really believe in this because I have inadvertently practiced this for most of my adult life. At least, since around age 35 or so. I felt he went a little too far with this but, for the most part, he was right on. I think that's the case with a lot of these people. They have outstanding concepts that can be carried to extreme, but if you take the concept and stop at a reasonable place, it is really valuable information.

The fascia thing is another story. It's an area that medical science is just starting to understand. The tissue that surrounds, muscles, organs, ligaments, tendons, etc. ~ the fascia, is what can be changed and developed and allow you to regain flexibility, strength and function of your entire body. When the fascia is dried up and of of whack, you are stuck. He says that yoga is the only way to work on your fascia. There was a whole lot more to his hours of discussion, of course, but if you want to know more his web site is jonburras.com.

On Friday evening, Halloween, everyone wore orange and back yoga outfits to class. Some people wore makeshift costumes. One guy wrapped toilet paper all over himself and came as a mummy. He posed for pictures in Half Moon. A riot! It was fun and festive and we were hoping for the night off but alas, not in the cards. We should have focused more on that expectation!

It ended up being a great night though because Lynn Whitlow did a lecture on the business end of teaching and opening a studio. She is an interesting speaker and her talk was filled with really helpful information. We all came to lecture in costumes. Well, most of us. People had gone "all out" and bought costumes. I didn't have one, but I have always been pretty good in the creativity department (self back-patting visual), so I took and long, dark shawl that I bought on my Zara shopping trip and wrapped it around my head, leaving only a slit for my eyes. I wore black flowy yoga pants and a long black tunic top. I went to Clemma's room and knocked on the door, when she answered I said "trick or treat". She squealed cause she didn't recognize me. When I went in, she was lamenting that she had no costume. It turned out that she had a Zara shawl also, as did her roommate Brit from Norway. I wrapped their shawls for them just like mine and we all three huddled together as a group of women in burkas. Under those burkas, we are all blue eyed blondes, but who knew?! We were a huge hit! Everyone wanted pictures with us. It was especially fun being anonymous and seeing everyone's surprise when they discovered who we were. After the lecture, Manali did another of her amazing chants. He voice is so beautiful and she sits on the stage peacefully while chanting a beautiful Indian poem. We all sit there nodding off.

The other noteworthy event this week was the arrival of Ren, teacher from LA. He is HILARIOUS! He flaunts his gayness with pride and it's beautiful to see! He talked a little on Thursday night when he arrived. He was a hairdresser with clients like Meg Ryan and he gave up this lucrative career to teach Bikram. He told of his meeting with Bikram and how he just wants to teach in LA and never own a studio. He just loves teaching. He said, "If you see me swishing around the lobby somewhere, just stop and say Hi!" Adorable. His class Thursday night was the most fun we've had yet. He talks exactly like Dana Carvey's Franck Eggelhoffer (Fronk), the wedding planner, in Father of the Bride. He said at one point in the class to a trainee, "LOVE your tan, is it natural?" I love this guy.

OK, I think that about covers week 7. Last night, Clemma, Tom, Kathryn and myself went out to Zibu for a night away from the compound. It is a very pricey ($70 each without drinks) restaurant but worth every penny. The food was Mexican Thai and it was DIVINE!!! We had such a great evening. Great food, great company.....all the makings. Clemma is a GP physician from Minnesota, Tom is a retired Oncologist from Portland and Kathryn is a writer and professor from New York City. And, of course, me the retired Interior Designer, and current owner and operator of a rock climbing guide service and retail rock shop! We are all well over 50 and we called it a night with the "grownups". We sat for hours and talked (with no wine mind you) and it was glorious! I can't wait to hook up with all of these people after training.

The proverbial shitola will hit the fan this week because the Boss is back. Who knows what we are in store for. At least I can say without hesitation that I'm ready for whatever they dish out!

I plan to study this afternoon for Spinal Twist, the "final spinal" posture. No more to memorize after that! I just have to go back and review them all later a zillion times! Then, a massage, then to bed. I'm excited about tomorrow cause I always love Monday yoga classes. I am renewed and revitalized and ready for more. Also, on Mondays our group practices on lines 1, 2 and 3 which are in the front of the room so you can actually see yourself in the mirror. That's a rare treat with 300 people in the room. It helps your focus and balance.

I saved the final news for last. Michael told me that he scheduled me to teach my first class on Wednesday, November the 19th! OMG, I'm actually going to teach! I know there will be a ton of people in the room because he scheduled me for the 9:00 AM class. That's always a busy class, but I suspect that my buddies from that class will all want to be there (I hope so anyway), so the room might be full. I guess it doesn't matter if there are 10 or 50 people, it's still the same. As long as I'm surrounded by my teacher friends and class friends (remember our "camel toe" idea girls), I'm sure I'll survive the class. Actually, I'm not nearly as nervous as I was when I thought about teaching before I went to training. Don't get me wrong, I'm nervous, just a little less so. I feel somewhat empowered by all the dialogue that I've learned. If I can just get it out!!! Whatever happens, I know I will have all of your support.

My love and don't love list for this week:

Love:
The yoga
Ren
Zibu
Monday classes
My new private room
Jon Burras lectures
Lynn Whitlow
The incredible growth and development I've experienced
Only one more dialogue to learn
The fact that I'm scheduled to teach and I'm not dry heaving and
breaking out in a rash with anxiety
The exciting news that I talked to John today and he was on his way to the 9:30 class!

Don't loves:
My private room with no Sheila
The creepy new rashes that break out periodically from three hours a day practicing in a hot, humid, petri dish yoga room with over 300 people.
Rude people in the yoga room. Hard to believe some of these folks are going to be teachers since they are clueless as to the existance of others. Most are great, mind you.

OK, I'm signing off for this week. Until next weekend everyone ~

No comments: