Saturday, September 20, 2008

Ah, Saturday!

It has been so nice to actually have time to myself. After this morning's class I went back to the room for a shower, then to the buffet. My appetite has been so weird. I am almost never hungry and when I eat, I try to eat what my body is craving. After class I always want eggs and salt! They make a really good omelet at the buffet. They pour a ton of oil into the pan and fry them up! The opposite of American style. It's OK though, I don't even care if the omelets are full of fat. They taste delicious and that's all that counts. I try to eat as balanced as possible, fruits, veggies, carbs, etc. I need all the nutrients I can get.
After lunch, I came back to the room, fell asleep and slept for 3 hours! Wow, it felt great! It turns out the Sheila had 3 IV's last night. I was asleep when she got back to the room. She seems much better today and she has tomorrow to recover so I hope she'll be OK.
OK, I am having some frustrations and they must be listed:
1. I have no cash and am unable to get cash. The ATMs, I've tried 5 of them, say they can't communicate with my bank. The hotel won't cash a check. They told me that I should have let my bank know that I was going to Mexico and that a bunch of charges will be coming in. Well, I have traveled out of the country many times before but never have I had this experience. I am just doing room charges and Visa charges. Pain in the butt. The only hope I have is to call my bank Monday and tell them to give me my !**!! money! Of course that brings us to the second frustration,
2. Communication with the states by phone. I don't have an international phone plan so I am unable to call home. I set up Skype on my computer and I have tried and tried to call John. He can hear me but I can't hear him. I bought some head phones, but the Mexican head phone selection is a tad limited. I really would love to be able to make calls, but I am at a loss as to how to do it.
3. Lastly, the water. Even the bottled water tastes gross here. I don't know what it is. I'm trying to get used to it. It's not bad when you put your water bottle in the freezer overnight. When it's that cold, it's not too gross.
Well, that's it. Not too many, but still extremely challenging to my patience.
I forgot to tell you about the first night I was here. It was the Mexican independence day and they celebrate as loudly and obnoxiously as Americans celebrate the 4th of July. There was a Mariachi band playing at deafening decibels until about midnight. I had my earplugs in and it was still loud!
Sheila, you wanted to know if I've gone to the beach. Yes, I jumped in the ocean after class one day and that was awesome. Today I went out to the beach and it was just so hot and humid that I came back in. It reminded me of being in the yoga room.
I'm going to close now so I can have some dinner and go to bed early. Now is the only chance I have for sleep. I have to take advantage of it. Later.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

We had the same cash/ATM problem in Italy and went to an internet cafe to call Bank of America. They said we should have told them we were leaving the country(we didn't think of it either) because they saw the charges and put a freeze on our acct! Is there any sort of internet cafe around? You can use their phones to call USA for a per-minute rate.