Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sunday Update

I have had a pretty terrific day, although it has been composed of lots of work! Not physical but mental. I ran into a fellow trainee last night that I instantly adored. She is a stage actress, opera singer and teaches voice at Columbia University. She said she was going to be doing some voice coaching in her room today at noon. I went there and discovered how much work I have to do to learn to project. She said I am tensing up and need to relax. Her observation was that I'm trying too hard.....trying to do everything perfectly. There's that perpetual, green monster, perfection, rearing it's ugly head again. She worked with us for two hours (3 of us) and we each came out with the basic concept of projecting through your abdomen and face (who knew??!!) instead of your vocal cords. It's going to take a lot of practice for me, but I know that eventually I'll get it. Also, she emphasized that we move our mouths more when we talk. She said Americans, especially, talk with their mouths barely open and hardly moving.
Later, Sheila and I studied for the Anatomy test tomorrow. Sheila woke up feeling good. That girl is made of steel. She just keeps bouncing back! There's no way she isn't going to make it through this training. The doc said he suspects that she has a hernia or an ulcer!
Later I went down to the beach to buy some sarongs. They are beautiful and colorful and make great cover ups for your yoga clothes when you are walking through the lobby. I got ripped off, of course, because I paid full price and you are supposed to bargain with them. I've never been a good bargainer because I always want to help them out since they make so little money and have families to feed. The old bleeding heart liberal side coming out.
We just ordered room service (again!) and we're going to chill and enjoy the evening. I'm excited to try my dialogue tomorrow and see if I get a little better feedback on the loudness factor. I'm not going to try to be perfect, I'm not going to try to be perfect, I'm not going to try to be perfect..........

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Carol, I just sat down and read from the beginning - WOW!!! I am happy and not surprised at all to hear you are doing well with the classes etc. You are a tough cookie and it has always showed in class here at home (Bend). I hope you have been able to get some cash and call home when you need to. In our travels we have purchased international calling cards that you can use from your hotel room for a small charge, we have gotten them at any store that sells water, etc. Too bad the bottled water tastes so bad but maybe it's getting better? Everything here is good, class is good except I miss seeing you there. The weather has turned quickly to Fall/Winter and it may snow a little tomorrow! I look forward to hearing more about training. take care, LOL, Christen Gladu (Nov.14th friend)

Betty said...

Hi Carol,
You're amazing! 1/3 done with teacher training. We look forward to reading more of your experiences.
We're both thinking of you and miss you in class.
Lots of positive energy from Bend!
Always,
Betty and Michael

kaycee said...

Carol- Thank you so much for taking the time to do a play by play for us! I am very inspired and can't wait to go to the four thirty class now. Hope the week has been fabulous...
one of the Bend studio's Kaycees.